Главная страница Случайная страница
АвтомобилиАстрономияБиологияГеографияДом и садДругие языкиДругоеИнформатикаИсторияКультураЛитератураЛогикаМатематикаМедицинаМеталлургияМеханикаОбразованиеОхрана трудаПедагогикаПолитикаПравоПсихологияРелигияРиторикаСоциологияСпортСтроительствоТехнологияТуризмФизикаФилософияФинансыХимияЧерчениеЭкологияЭкономикаЭлектроника
Прочитайте текст. (При необходимости пользуйтесь словарем). Americans place a high value on education
Education in the USA
Americans place a high value on education. Universal access to quality education has been one of the nation’s historic goals. America’s first college, Harvard was founded in 1636. In 1865 education was becoming available to all. The peculiar feature of American education is the absence of national administration. Each of the 50 states controls and directs its own school. Most states require that children attend school from the time they reach six or 7 years old until they are 16 or 17. There is no school uniform organization or curriculum throughout the nation. But certain common features exist. Preschool education is part of the elementary school. Elementary and secondary schools consist of 12 years of classes, which meet for about ten month a year, five days a week and five hours a day.
Almost every elementary school curriculum includes English, mathematics, science, social studies, music, art and physical education. Many schools include classes teaching basic computer skills. After graduating from secondary schools a growing number of Americans go on to higher education. American institutions of higher education include: technical training schools, community colleges; and universities which contain one or more colleges and graduate schools offering master’s or doctoral degree programmes.
(Адаптировано с сайта: http://www.homeenglish.ru/topic_edusa.htm)
3. Соедините слова из текста с их значениями:
4. Заполните пропуски словами, соответствующими содержанию текста:
5. Образец: Americans place a high … on education. - Americans place a high valueon education.
1. A unique … of these rock shelters was that they were dry.
2. The rules … that you bring only one guest to the dinner.
3. The bill … tax and service.
4. Is this dress … in a larger size?
5. The only … to the village is by boat.
6. Cопоставьте следующие слова и их значения:
7. Ответьте на вопросы:
1. When was America’s first college founded?
2. What is the peculiar feature of American education?
3. Is there curriculum throughout the nation?
4. What are common features in education?
5. What does elementary school curriculum include?
6. What do American institutions of higher education include?