√лавна€ страница —лучайна€ страница
јвтомобилијстрономи€Ѕиологи€√еографи€ƒом и садƒругие €зыкиƒругое»нформатика»стори€ ультураЋитератураЋогикаћатематикаћедицинаћеталлурги€ћеханикаќбразованиеќхрана трудаѕедагогикаѕолитикаѕравоѕсихологи€–елиги€–иторика—оциологи€—порт—троительство“ехнологи€“уризм‘изика‘илософи€‘инансы’ими€„ерчениеЁкологи€ЁкономикаЁлектроника
Choose the right word and insert it in the proper form
Control Ц direct Ц manage
ControlЦ have a power to take all the important decisions
Manage Ц be responsible for organizing (a business, an organization, a system) and seeing that the right things are done
DirectЦ refers to a leadership or order
1. The Imam of Yemen was an absolute ruler. He Е the life of every subject. 2. In small business there are people who own the business and often Е it as well. 3. The President of the United states Е the nationТs foreign policy. 4. The Merchants Е the network of marketing and supplies. 5. Mrs. Hughes Е the 400 acre dairy farm with the help of five men. 6. They want Е their own lives themselves. 7. Who Е the film?
Doubt Ц suspect
DoubtЦ do not believe that sth is true or possible; lack of faith or trust
SuspectЦ a questioning uncertainty, especially when you are relying on your intuition.
1. Nobody Е his knowledge of countryside matters. 2. I Е he was already in New York. 3. I Е that many of them could barely read or write. 4. Jane never Е for a moment that her first child would be a son. 5. He felt so weak that he Е whether he would be able to walk to the bedroom. 6. He Е that no one had ever seen anything like that before.
Greet Ц salute Ц welcome
GreetЦ say СHelloТ or make a gesture with the same meaning
WelcomeЦ show that youТre glad to see sb, especially when people arrive.
Salute Ц make a formal sign of respect
1. A large uniformed police sergeant recognized him and at once Е . 2. She went down the steps Е Harry with a kiss on both cheeks. 3. As the king arrived he Е at the door by the prince. 4. СYes, sir,Т said Pitman, giving the major an exemplary Е . 5. The guests Е on arrival by the crowds of people. 6. СЕto Peking,Т the sign said.
Fill Ц satisfy
FillЦ suggest adequacy but no more
SatisfyЦ adequate response to a requirement, need or expectation, stressing its completeness.
1. The candidate Е all requirements for a degree. 2. She was hired Е a staff vacancy. 3. This is a film that can hardly Е the expectations of the people. 4. Despite excellent recommendations she didnТt Е our expectations. 5. He Е the post satisfactorily and performs the duties well.
Fight Ц battle
FightЦ suggests any struggle towards a goal, more general than СbattleТ
Battle Ц refers most strongly to a specific fight that may be part of a larger war or disaster
1. It was a desperate Е to win the tournament at all costs. 2. That Е produced the heaviest casualties of the war. 3. The Е broke out between two drunks but soon spread to the whole neighborhood. 4. They were caught in the storm and had Е with the winds and waves. 5. The dogs Е over a bone. 6. He Е his way toward his goal.